The basis for inspiration this year was chosen due to popular request – The Corner Shop.
Traditional or otherwise? Well, that’s entirely up to the entrant! Existing shop scenes that customers have previously sent in pictures of include old-fashioned Victorian grocery stores, pubs and wine bars, bistro-cafes, shoe shops and ice cream parlours.
Each year the Creative Competition is based around a small dolls’ house kit which is easy to assemble and provides the ideal foundation for ideas. So it’s time to let the imagination run free to decide on what to do.
The kit is just the basis for the project, so it’s time to think about technique and materials to bring out the most in what’s provided.
Although they are traditionally found in built-up residential areas, shops can be free-standing on seaside foreshores, a concession in a major shopping centre or half-way down a motorway! Perhaps the winner might be a film studio or Dolls House Emporium outlet?
One of last year’s runners-up used two kits, which worked well. This year’s competition kit is stackable, so you could create a department store or a general store with accommodation above.
It doesn’t even have to be turned into a shop: the possibilities really are endless. Entries to last year’s competition, the Garden Pavilion kit, included a scout camp, a bed and breakfast, a railway station and a traditional Welsh cottage. The year before, the Village Hall kit was turned into a Moroccan fantasy, a steampunk-styled pub and a vets’, to name but a few.
The Corner Shop Part 1 comes complete with the shop-style door, two large windows, side steps and railings around the terrace. Part 2 includes two charming windows, an entrance door and pitched roof – used alone or on top of Part 1. At a special introductory price of £45 each or £79 together, they offer a good choice for a beginner – or a flexible challenge for the expert modeller.
To enter the competition people still only need to use one building, but can enter with both if they prefer.
* 1st Prize: A Dolls House Emporium kit of your choice worth up to £650
* 2nd Prize: £350 of Dolls House Emporium vouchers
* 3rd Prize: £200 of Dolls House Emporium vouchers
Why not get started right away and don’t forget to take some photos along the way to show your creation taking shape.
If you could record a video of your entry, that would be even better, together with a summary of the thinking behind your creation and how you went about making it.
Photos and links to videos online should be sent to email@example.com
Part 1 information:
- Large room size – 365mm x 370mm (Approx 14” x 14”)
- Terrace size – 375mm x 380mm (Approx 14 5/8” x 14”)
- Comes complete with the shop-style door, two large windows, side steps and railings around the terrace.
Part 2 information:
- Overall measurements 375mm width x 380mm depth x 340mm height
- Comes complete with two charming windows, an entrance door and pitched roof
Entering is easy: How to enter
1. Order your Corner Shop!
2. Customise the Corner Shop to create your fantasy display. Adapt, modify and decorate the Corner Shop in any way you wish.
3. Take at least 2 photographs of both the exterior and interior of your creation, and 1 photograph of yourself beside your entry. Entries will not be accepted without good quality, clear photographs. Please clearly label all your photographs with your name, address and customer number.
4. Complete the entry form (photocopy accepted) and describe where your inspiration came from for your entry, what materials and techniques you used to achieve this build and finish, etc.
5. Send your completed entry form, description, photographs and videos, to Competition Secretary, The Dolls House Emporium®, High Holborn Road, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 3YD, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Closing date for receipt of entries is 31st August 2012.
7. Winning entries will be displayed at The Dolls House Emporium shop in Ripley for 3-6 months. Guest books will be displayed with each entry and presented to the winners as a special memento for their achievement.
The small print:
Competition Rules 1. The closing date is midday 31st August 2012 and the winner will be notified by 1st October 2012. 2. Purchase of a featured kit (£45 for either one or £79 for both) is required to enter. 3. Employees of The Dolls House Emporium®, those involved in the promotion and execution of the competition and their families are not eligible to enter. 4. Any entry received after noon on closing date will be disqualified, as will any received damaged or illegible. 5. The winner will be selected and notified personally. The winner’s name will be available after the competition by writing to The Competition Secretary, The Dolls House Emporium®, High Holborn Road, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 3YD enclosing a stamped addressed envelope. 6. The first prize winner will receive a dolls’ house of their choice – in kit form, QuickStyle or Fully-finished – from our main catalogue, up to the value of £650.. The 2nd prize winner will receive £350 worth of Dolls House Emporium® vouchers. The 3rd prize winner will receive £200 worth of Dolls House Emporium® vouchers. No cash alternative will be available. 7. The Dolls House Emporium® reserves the right to feature entries on other printed matter or on our website, and to feature name and home county of winner and photographs of their project in future promotions. 8. Entry into the draw is deemed acceptance of the rules. 9. Proof of posting cannot be accepted as proof of receipt. No responsibility can be accepted for entries which are delayed, damaged or wrongly delivered.